Yesterday’s brew day went well. First, I got the new pack of 1099 counted. It was still lower than it ought to be (67.6 billion viable cells, 98.5% viability), but enough for today’s brew.
Second, the brewing went surprisingly well. We were pushing the limits of Marks’ equipment – mash tun totally filled, both keggles totally filled (just under 30 gallons total).
Now a note on the recipe. Since we are trying to taste differences between the yeast, we went with a basic special bitter recipe that wasn’t too heavy on the hops. We picked a moderate starting gravity as well. Here’s the info:
British Pale Ale 41.75 lbs
Caramel 120 L 2.17 lbs
3.4 oz Target (8.6%) – 60 min
2 oz East Kent Golding (5%, whole leaf) – 30 min
1 oz EKG (4.8%, pellets) – 30 min
0.8 oz EKG (5%, pellets) – 30 min
2.5 oz EKG (4%, plugs) – flameout
Calculated IBUs: 34
Everything went well. We now have 8 cornie kegs filled with ~3 gallons of identical wort, pitched with 8 different English ale yeast strains.